From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2016-08-14
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2016 15:37:29
1 On Fri, Aug 05, 2016 at 10:36:41AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 10:28 AM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Besides our maintainers keeping old packages around, we are doing a
5 > > disservice to our stable users by offering them old software instead of
6 > > keeping them as current as possible.
9 > No argument, but if you actually asked stable users I'm not convinced
10 > that they'd prefer less-tested recent packages over well-tested older
11 > ones. Anything to get things fresher is good, but there probably
12 > needs to be some kind of sanity check.
13
14 To clarify what I said earlier, if you are running full ~, there is no
15 way you can easily test your packages against the stable tree, so you
16 shouldn't be stabilizing anything, no matter which arch you are using.
17 To stabilize packages, you should be running a mostly stable system
18 other than the packages you maintain.
19
20 William