From: Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o>
To: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 19:47:36
1 On 19-07-2010 04:34, Richard Freeman wrote:
2 > On 07/18/2010 06:03 PM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
3 >> On 18-07-2010 20:26, Petteri Räty wrote:
4 >>> I propose we add a statement to our list FAQ to ban cross posting the
5 >>> reason being that it leads to fragmentation of the thread when some
6 >>> people reply on one list and some on the other (and they aren't required
7 >>> to be subscribed to both).
8 >
9 > ++
12 >> I can live with the cross-posting, in particular if it makes easier to
13 >> find an old thread - if the council meeting threads were sent to both
14 >> gentoo-council and gentoo-dev, it would certainly be easier to find it
15 >> on gentoo-council archives than gentoo-dev's.
16 >
17 > Why not just post it on gentoo-council? Anybody interested in the
18 > discussion could participate there. The first message in the thread
19 > could of course be posted to -dev-announce with follow-ups to the proper
20 > list.
21 >
22 > I've been reading this discussion now in three different lists,
23 > illustrating the fragmentation problem.
24 >
25 > For those who suggest a better mail reader - I'm all ears. My
26 > requirements apparently are:
27 >
28 > 1. GUI - one that works with a mouse.
29 > 2. Basic editing functionality (spell check, re-wrapping, etc), with
30 > all functions accessible via the GUI.
31 > 3. Handles threads split across two different lists with not all
32 > replies being cross-posted to all lists, turning them into a cohesive
33 > discussion.
34 > 4. Otherwise, doesn't mix up stuff from multiple lists.
35 > 5. Does all of this in spite of the fact that procmail is set to
36 > mercilessly destroy anything with a duplicate message ID before the mail
37 > client even sees it. Alternatively, mail client must handle when I get
38 > the same email 5 times via 5 different email addresses that were all
39 > CC'ed so that procmail doesn't have to take care of it.
40 >
41 > Of course, not cross-posting like mad lets me cross off #3 and #5,
42 > meaning that just about anything out there works.
43 >
44 > I'm not aware of a mail reader that meets these requirements... Frankly
45 > I'd be happy to just follow the discussion on gmane except that even
46 > most news readers can't handle this sort of mess.
47
48 Thunderbird does that for me, just enable threaded view on your inbox.
49 It is very close to gmame-style email reading.
50
51 Just 2 cents.
52 - Angelo
53 >
54 > If devs want to follow what the council is doing, they should subscribe
55 > to -council. If devs want to have input on big policy changes that
56 > aren't strictly coding related they can follow -project. Of course, no
57 > matter what lists they follow the important stuff can go on
58 > -dev-announce first.
59 >
60 > Just my two cents... Obviously I've been putting up with this sort of
61 > thing for years, so this is hardly going to be the thing that drives me
62 > over the edge... :)
63 >
64 > Rich