From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council appointed leaders for QA and DevRel
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 13:39:48
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 On 08/14/2011 02:07 PM, Thomas Sachau wrote:
5 > Markos Chandras schrieb:
6 >> On 08/14/2011 01:15 PM, Thomas Sachau wrote:
7 >>> Markos Chandras schrieb:
8 >>>> Hi all,
9 >>>>
10 >>>> This is the first of the items I would like to discuss for the
11 >>>> next Council agenda (or a later one).
12 >>>>
13 >>>> Some time ago, few people proposed to have Council appointed
14 >>>> leaders for QA and DevRel.
15 >>
16 >>> My first question: Why is your proposal restricted to QA and
17 >>> DevRel?
18 >>
19 >> Cause I believe these teams are crucial to the continuity of
20 >> Gentoo project.
21 >
22 > How do you weight one project against another one? I see it the other
23 > way round: QA and DevRel are only important, if there is some issue
24 > not resolved otherwise. But many other projects are always important,
25 > since they have to maintain things continuously. While the council
26 > could still decide, if DevRel or QA are gone (they just take some
27 > workload away), you wont be able to get the council to e.g. maintain
28 > our infrastructure, ebuilds or docs.
29 >
30 1) If another project slacks, then bad luck for you. Just mask and
31 remove the ebuilds ( see recent zope thread ). There is nothing we can
32 do about that.
33 2) Infrastructure is a sensitive team, and does not deal with ebuild
34 maintenance and portage directly.
35 3) I am not sure what is the problem with docs. There are understaffed
36 since I remember but it is not crucial to project continuity since most
37 projects maintain docs on their spaces as well.
41 >>>> I like the idea because this way the Council can ensure that
42 >>>> the team is active or either force some activity in case the
43 >>>> current leader slacks big time.
44 >>
45 >>> If there is noone active in a team, noone prevents other devs to
46 >>> join the team and vote themselves for the lead. So even if there
47 >>> is no activity, it should be no problem to get activity, if
48 >>> someone is interested to do the work.
49 >> Right now, you can't join any of these teams unless a lead approves
50 >> you. Have a look at gentoo-qa ML.
51 >
52 > Please re-read my lines. I talked about _noone being active_. The QA
53 > team is not empty/inactive, neither is DevRel team empty/inactive, so
54 > this does not apply to the current situation.
55 Well, clearly we have a different definition for the word "active". If
56 you think that QA is active then there is no reason for me to try to
57 convince you for the opposite.
60 >>> If the team is inactive and noone interested, the Council wont be
61 >>> able to create any activity either, since they cannot force
62 >>> anyone to do something.
63 >> You can't just join a dead team and become a lead :). There are
64 >> some bureaucracy procedures to follow.
65 >
66 > You cant? who prevents you from doing so? And if there are just some
67 > procedures to follow, this just means some initial activity/workload
68 > to do so, but again: If the team is dead, who could prevent you from
69 > joining it and then becoming the lead?
70 Existing members, who claim to be active, may prevent you. Remember what
71 happened last time Patrick tried to resurrect GMW, and all of a sudden,
72 Joshua claimed that he can't do that because he wasn't the lead.
73 Unless I misunderstand your definition for "dead" word. You mean empty
74 project pages? Or just pages with 14 members and 0 commits/year?
77 >>>> Furthermore, right now there is the potential problem for the
78 >>>> leader to only allow new members that he likes so they can vote
79 >>>> for him on next elections. Membership and voting actions should
80 >>>> not be related in these teams.
81 >>
82 >>> How is this specific to those 2 projects? Other projects do work
83 >>> the same way, so if you argument this way, you should extend
84 >>> your proposal to all projects, not just QA and DevRel.
85 >>
86 >> Like I said, these are the crucial projects. This is because they
87 >> manage procedures affecting inter-project related issues etc.
88 >
89 > I have to disagree about the importance of those 2 projects. The most
90 > important work done by those teams is fixing minor issues, being
91 > either technical issues or inter-personal issues. While those teams
92 > can make a decision, this is never final, you always have the option
93 > to go to the council, which is elected by the dev community and has
94 > the final decision. So i would see those projects more like some
95 > delegation of work to people interested in doing the work in that
96 > area, while the council still has the last word.
97 If you have a dead QA team, then you suck as a project. If you have a
98 dead recruitment team then you such as a project. But if you have a e.g.
99 deal perl team, then you just can't support perl, which is bad, but not
100 as bad as not having QA/Devrel up and running.
101 >
102 > And, as a side note: Only a very small minority of devs is even
103 > willing and able to do the work of those projects, so a regular
104 > council voting would effectively change nothing beside adding some
105 > more bureaucracy.
106 >
107 Bringing council to the game, ensures that these projects will be active
108 and managed at a senior level. Right now, there is no recovery plan if
109 these teams do not function properly.
110
111 - --
112 Regards,
113 Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2