From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Hiding problems, breach of Gentoo Social Contract
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 21:53:03
1 On 02/12/16 12:36, Aaron Bauman wrote[excerpted]:
2 > On 12/02/2016 09:10 PM, Craig Inches wrote[excerpted]:
3 >> I realize I am not a dev, but for awhile I was actively pursuing this
4 >> and the situation with Idella4 (who was my mentor) has made me have
5 >> second thoughts, from the information I have been able glean about
6 >> what occurred, and also the way his retirement was handled cause
7 >> confusion and disillusionment with the whole process for me at least
8 >> and I think a few non-devs from Proxy-Maint IRC channel feel the same.
9 > Please do not let this dissuade you from becoming a Gentoo developer.
10 > Despite the current situation and the giant books being written about
11 > comrel, council, and others, this is not the norm. Many developers
12 > contribute everyday with no interference or thoughts of either. Hell, I
13 > did not even know they existed aside from the quizzes. No one focuses
14 > on the good things they have done... that is for sure.
17 It may come to some surprise to you (and others) that Craig is not the
18 only prospective dev who was somewhat perplexed with the attitude
19 towards select Gentoo Devs, who seemed, on the face of it, to be
20 actively contributing to the Gentoo project. There were at least six of
21 us (if not seven, possibly more) who were actively considering and
22 pursuing becoming a Gentoo developer, who all felt that we felt uneasy
23 about progression, not helped by the problems of a lack of active
24 recruiters and other issues within the Recruiters project, which have
25 hopefully now been resolved. There is a mild concern that the only
26 remaining recruiter, may have a bias against some of the prospective
27 recruits, as having been "tainted" by the former Gentoo Dev who was
28 ousted from the Proxy Maintenance project. As non-devs, we have no
29 recourse to council to ask for this to be investigated, and we don't
30 consider ourselves to have a 'voice' to express our opinions and
31 frustrations with the Gentoo 'system' as we observe it. It seems ironic
32 that we are unable to influence the procedures that would help us be
33 represented, and hence the only outlets we have are the mailing lists
34 and third-party platforms. If anyone can suggest the correct course of
35 action that any prospective non-dev contributor might have, I'm sure
36 there are a few ears who would be interested in the response.