From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Small change to Social Contract - feedback needed
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 18:30:15
1 >>>>> On Sun, 22 Mar 2015, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2
3 > During the trustee meeting, it was recommended to first get a
4 > community-supported suggestion before making the change, and to discuss it
5 > on gentoo-project@g.o. Hence this e-mail.
6
7 > The paragraph currently reads:
8
9 > """
10 > Exceptions are made when we receive security-related or developer relations
11 > information with the request not to publicize before a certain deadline.
12 > """
13
14 > In light of the suggestions already made on the bug, my suggestion would be
15 > to go with the following:
16
17 > """
18 > Exceptions are made for
19 > - security-related information, when there are valid reasons (such as a
20 > responsible disclosure process) not to publicize the content of the bug
21 > before a certain deadline
22 > - community relations related information, for instance where content disclosure
23 > could be harmful to a person or project, such as bugs containing
24 > offensive content, or personally identifiable / private information
25
26 > Other exceptions can be made on a case-by-case basis after approval by the
27 > Board of Trustees of the Gentoo Foundation.
28 > """
29
30 > Please shed your light on this. All feedback is greatly welcomed.
31
32 This would increase the length of the paragraph by almost a factor of
33 four, without saying anything that is significantly different from
34 what it says now.
35
36 The section about bugzilla is already rather specific for a social
37 contract, so IMHO we shouldn't increase its size even further.
38 Basically, what you want to say that the preceding paragraph about
39 bugzilla being open for public view isn't a 100 % rule but has
40 exceptions. So, how about this:
41
42 "Exceptions are made when we receive sensitive information related
43 to security or community relations."
44
45 Also note that the Debian Social Contract [1] from which ours is
46 derived from doesn't have such an exception.
47
48 Ulrich
51 [1] https://www.debian.org/social_contract