From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Looking for ways the Foundation can accomplish its mission.
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2018 02:16:07
1 On 07/09/18 02:47, Richard Yao wrote:
2 >
3 >> On Sep 6, 2018, at 9:01 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 8:32 PM Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>>> On Sep 6, 2018, at 9:07 AM, Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >>>>>
9 >>>>> - Host a bug-bounty program.
10 >>> This would need to be restricted to critical bugs. Otherwise, it would drain the foundation treasury very quickly.
11 >> ++
12 >>
13 >>> We also would need to restrict this to non-developers, again to avoid draining the treasury.
14 >> Uh, how does it drain the treasury less if we pay the same amount of
15 >> money to a non-dev vs a dev? Wouldn't that actually discourage
16 >> regular contributors from becoming devs, and potentially drive us to
17 >> have to pay for more bounties since less stuff is getting fixed for
18 >> free?
19 > Fair point.
20 >> Bounties would have to be limited to what we really need and can
21 >> afford, but once you've gotten that far then there is really no reason
22 >> to restrict who can apply for them. The goal is to fix the bug,
23 >> right?
24 > I was concerned that people might end up getting paid for things that they would do anyway, but I guess if we are careful with what qualifies, then that would be okay.
25 >> --
26 >> Rich
29 It would also be worth stipulating that any individual's 'bounty haul'
30 would be capped at a certain amount in a defined time period.
31 But these are relatively simple technical details ..
32
33 MJE