From: Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] gentoo dev map info
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 17:34:24
1 On Wednesday 23 of February 2011 09:18:40 Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > On 02/23/2011 01:29 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday, February 22, 2011 18:16:12 Sebastian Pipping wrote:
4 > >> On 02/22/2011 10:54 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
5 > >>> for you wankers
6 > >>
7 > >> come on, this is public mailing list.
8 > >
9 > > then publicly, emerge a sense of humor. you wanker.
10 >
11 > Here (Finland) wanker as directly translated is in the same category as
12 > asshole. I would avoid humor that's heavily tied to culture/context on
13 > our public mailing lists as people tend to remember negative things more
14 > than the positive.
15
16 With context being "providing friendly info for buddies, fellow Gentoo devs
17 and associates", and culture that can be (in majority) characterized as
18 "computer geeks with specific but in general very good sense of humor", word
19 "wanker" is funny, barely insulting, and at some age can be a compliment as
20 well.
21
22 If there's semantics lost in literal translation from language A to language
23 B, then the problem is not with phrase itself. In such case there's a problem
24 with language B: either lack of translation formulas (from A to B) or
25 inexpressive dictionary in language B or just semantically wrong translation
26 formula chosen.
29 wanks
30 MM