From: Allen Brooker <gmane@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: Improving developer/user communication
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 16:38:57
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Allen Brooker wrote:
3 >> Could we create a very-low-traffic, developer-posts-only list that is
4 >> used for announcing important package changes? The list could also be
5 >> used for other announcements (not sure exactly what - events where
6 >> Gentoo devs will be, regional meets, other things). If people feel that
7 >> using the same list for other announcements too would create too much
8 >> traffic, consider creating multiple lists, which would allow people to
9 >> subscribe to only the types of messages that they want to see.
10 >
11 > Just made it at the same time as this one: gentoo-dev-announce. We're
12 > still working out the policy.
13 >
14 > Thanks,
15 > Donnie
16 >
17 According to http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/lists.xml (and my impression
18 from the name) that list appears to be for developer-targeted announcements.
19
20 What I was thinking was something along the lines of some of the
21 post-install messages (not all of them, just the important ones that
22 might actually (appear to) break things - eg. glibc upgrade - "you can't
23 downgrade"; gcc upgrade - "follow the guide here; coreutils upgrade -
24 "some locations have changed - run 'hash -r' to clear the cache"; etc.)
25 and other user-targeted messages to be sent to a list.
26
27 Allen
30 gentoo-project@g.o mailing list