From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-proxy-maint@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-proxy-maint] Code evaluations
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 18:17:06
1 I thought these questions were a bit too basic gentoo-dev, so I joined
2 this list in hopes these questions are more appropriate here.
5 I find myself browsing a variety of software and sub-components, often
6 they are comprise of many different languages. So are there
7 tools that will quickly yield a survey of a given github based
8 project, as to a rough estimate of the breakdown of the different
9 component languages? by percentages, lines of code, word-count or
10 any other metric? (any will do just fine).
13 Next, I'd like to know if there is a (github) tool (code/syntax/script)
14 that can parse the given code modules (components) and just render just
15 the comments so I can read them? Language specific solutions are just fine.
18 These (2) methods would greatly enhance my ability to research new
19 software, or software not in portage for evaluation. For portage, I just
20 read the ebuilds and track things down from there. Ebuilds outside
21 of portage, such as Gerrit, are more of a challenge so is there a
22 systematic-quick method to read those ebuilds without download or
23 install of the overlay?
26 Surely developers have these sorts of tricks and scripts or they
27 are part of a larger package of tools that I need to read about?
28 All anecdotal information is greatly appreciated.