From: NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, Amy Winston <amynka@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-proxy-maint@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-proxy-maint] [RFC] Avoid spam
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 22:25:43
1 On 06/19/2016 01:38 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 17:35:29 +0200
3 > Amy Winston <amynka@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Since the new policy causes headaches to bugzilla and spams users and
6 >> alias as well.
7 >>
8 >> I would like to propose more simple way. What about we have just
9 >> maintainer bug for every maintainer and maintainers can comment their
10 >> request for maintaining packages there.
11 >>
12 >> Any comments?
13 >
14 > I'm the new guy here but I don't really understand the need for this
15 > bureaucracy. It all start to remind me of Sunrise -- someone trying to
16 > make it more bureaucratic than Gentoo itself.
17 Well, the whole thing was born of an almost nonexistent race condition
18 feared by the former lead.
19 >
20 > I don't think we really need to expect much more action from
21 > proxy-maintainers than we do from Gentoo developers. After all, we're
22 > not giving them direct push access, and I don't think we have a very
23 > specific need of tracking their every action.
24 >
25 > One thing I'd really would like to avoid is linking between maintainer
26 > bugs and package bugs. That indeed causes a lot of spam, not to mention
27 > the linking is done the wrong way around. Furthermore, it is even less
28 > meaningful if we assume the specific cases such as more than one
29 > proxied maintainer or co-maintenance with a Gentoo developer.
30 >
31 > I can understand having a bug to request confirmation on co-maintenance
32 > of a package that is already maintained by a developer (or another
33 > proxied maintainer). However, I don't see why proxied maintainers would
34 > need to formally request taking over an unmaintained package. As I see
35 > it, a pull request / patch updating metadata.xml would be enough.
36 As mentioned above, the biggest concern was that if two users
37 simultaneously start attempting to take over a package while working
38 through different proxy maintainers, it could cause conflict. In
39 practice, this almost never happens, and on the rare occasion that it
40 does, the users seem to be amenable to co-maintaining (I suspect because
41 they primarily want the package/updated, and don't care as much about
42 the logistics of how that gets done)
43 >
44 > I understand that the maintainer bugs are supposed to be much like
45 > developer bugs. However, I would like to point out that developer bugs
46 > are mostly supposed to handle two big deals -- recruitment
47 > and retirement, while maintainer bugs look like they are supposed to
48 > track every move of the proxied maintainer.
49 >
50 > To find packages maintained by a maintainer we can look metadata.xml
51 > files up. To find changes we can look git up / archives / specific
52 > bugs. Why do we need all the extra structure, except for the common
53 > idea of 'it looks more pro'?
54 >
55 The biggest added benefit, IMO, is that it provides a means of project
56 members keeping track of users. For example, if a user is negligent or
57 otherwise unsuited for proxy maintenance, this provides a mechanism for
58 detailing that, so they aren't given the opportunity to take on more
59 packages if they've proven themselves incapable of handling packages
60 already. For that reason, I can see a benefit of keeping the maintainer
61 bugs, while nixing the per package request bugs.
64 NP-Hardass