From: Vieri <rentorbuy@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-proxy-maint@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-proxy-maint] local branch gone
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 07:56:16
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm new to git so please be kind. :-)
4
5 This is what I do when I contribute for CATEGORY/PACKAGE to github:
6
7 $ git checkout -b CATEGORY/PACKAGE master
8 $ repoman manifest
9 $ git add file1 file2 file3...
10 $ repoman -dx full
11 $ repoman -dx commit
12 $ git push --no-signed github CATEGORY/PACKAGE
13
14 That seems to work as expected.
15 However, suppose CATEGORY/PACKAGE does not exist in the master repository (gentoo/gentoo at github). So it's a NEW package contrib.
16 Also suppose that I don't want to wait for gentoo dev feedback on this particular contrib, and I want to move on and contribute another package.
17 So I won't be issuing this just yet:
18
19 $ git branch -d CATEGORY/PACKAGE
22 Instead, I will try to resync/update the main tree just in case there are some changes, and then fork a new branch.
23 So this is what I do:
24
25 $ git pull gentoo master
26 $ git checkout -b CATEGORY/ANOTHER_PACKAGE master
27
28 So I'm guessing that "git pull gentoo master" is the culprit as it might erase my CATEGORY/PACKAGE directory.
29
30 How can I avoid this?
31 What's the best practice?
32