From: Amy Winston <amynka@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-proxy-maint@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-proxy-maint] [RFC] Avoid spam
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 17:44:50
1 On 06/19/2016 07:38 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 17:35:29 +0200
3 > Amy Winston <amynka@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Since the new policy causes headaches to bugzilla and spams users and
6 >> alias as well.
7 >>
8 >> I would like to propose more simple way. What about we have just
9 >> maintainer bug for every maintainer and maintainers can comment their
10 >> request for maintaining packages there.
11 >>
12 >> Any comments?
13 >
14 > I'm the new guy here but I don't really understand the need for this
15 > bureaucracy. It all start to remind me of Sunrise -- someone trying to
16 > make it more bureaucratic than Gentoo itself.
17 >
18 > I don't think we really need to expect much more action from
19 > proxy-maintainers than we do from Gentoo developers. After all, we're
20 > not giving them direct push access, and I don't think we have a very
21 > specific need of tracking their every action.
22 >
23 > One thing I'd really would like to avoid is linking between maintainer
24 > bugs and package bugs. That indeed causes a lot of spam, not to mention
25 > the linking is done the wrong way around. Furthermore, it is even less
26 > meaningful if we assume the specific cases such as more than one
27 > proxied maintainer or co-maintenance with a Gentoo developer.
28 >
29 > I can understand having a bug to request confirmation on co-maintenance
30 > of a package that is already maintained by a developer (or another
31 > proxied maintainer). However, I don't see why proxied maintainers would
32 > need to formally request taking over an unmaintained package. As I see
33 > it, a pull request / patch updating metadata.xml would be enough.
34 >
35 > I understand that the maintainer bugs are supposed to be much like
36 > developer bugs. However, I would like to point out that developer bugs
37 > are mostly supposed to handle two big deals -- recruitment
38 > and retirement, while maintainer bugs look like they are supposed to
39 > track every move of the proxied maintainer.
40 >
41 > To find packages maintained by a maintainer we can look metadata.xml
42 > files up. To find changes we can look git up / archives / specific
43 > bugs. Why do we need all the extra structure, except for the common
44 > idea of 'it looks more pro'?
47 My idea was more like that Maintainer bug will have comments with
48 requests but not necessarily have links to package bugs. So we will have
49 Maintainer bug like Developer bug which will deal with requests for
50 maintaining.