From: Philippe Chaintreuil <gentoo_bugs_peep@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-proxy-maint@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-proxy-maint] [RFC] New doc & policy
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 14:36:43
1 On 7/20/2017 5:06 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On czw, 2017-07-20 at 10:02 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > Here's v2, taking into account suggestions from k_f and wraeth:
6 > ==How to become a proxied maintainer==
7
8 This whole section seems to assume a lot of knowledge of infrastructure
9 that I don't think someone wanting become a proxy-maintainer will have.
10 It also seems to me that it has a lot of "all you need to do is this one
11 simple thing", followed by 3-4 reasons there will be other things you
12 need to do before that one simple thing. This section would do better
13 with a checklist of steps followed by explanations of "why" as needed in
14 my opinion.
15
16 Imagine being a total neophyte and seeing "maintainer needed" on a
17 package you have a vested interest in. What is your first step of
18 contact? The current text makes me think that it's a cold-called
19 Pull-Request planting your flag in the metadata.xml. Is that the
20 intention? Or should people be joining this mailing list and getting a
21 list of things that will need to be fixed before that pull-request?
22
23 Also, if proxy-maintainers taking control of existing packages are more
24 common than creating new packages, it would seem to me that section
25 should come first.
29 Additionally, I'd like to see a section on what a new proxy-maintainer
30 should do when they need help. Especially when working in
31 "maintainer-needed" ebuilds where it's not obvious.