From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Time to deprecate Python 2.6?
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 19:35:12
1 On Tue, 1 Apr 2014 17:49:39 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hi, all.
5 >
6 > Since we're starting to work on Python 3.4 and more packages
7 > are dropping support for 2.6, I'm thinking of deprecating it. Is
8 > anyone opposed to this idea?
9 >
10 > Just to be clear, I don't mean removing or disabling it yet. Just
11 > marking 'deprecated', so that people would know to migrate away from
12 > it, and possible setting up some timeline for future removal.
15 That might be a good idea to at least get things moving for some older
16 tools still stuck in py2. 2.7 at least is a lot more compatible with
17 py3.
18
19 I think we'll have layman at 2.7+ soon, but if possible keep 2.6
20 compatibility since the embedded folks seem to be the slowest to
21 migrate to newer pythons. As for general users, I haven't seen any
22 bugs/issues come up that aren't at least py2.7.
25 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>