From: "W. Trevor King" <wking@×××××××.us>
To: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Reducing exceptionality cases for PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 18:25:33
1 On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 02:17:29PM -0400, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
2 > As python-single-r1.eclass is meant to ensure that a package is
3 > bound to just one implementation when multiple implementations are
4 > possible, usually because it is too difficult to make the package
5 > multibuild, it would make sense to me that if there is actually just
6 > one possible implementation…
7
8 I understand “It's too difficult for me to get this build system to
9 work with multiple Python versions.” I'm skeptical that there are any
10 packages where “there is actually just one possible implementation.”
11 Still I agree that some users will want a way to say “if I ask for a
12 package that only installs for one Python implementation, just install
13 it without my needing to tweak my USE flags.”
14
15 Personally, I'd prefer to stick with my existing PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET.
16 If a package doesn't like that, I can think harder about whether or
17 not I actually need the package. My Docker images [1], for example,
18 are single-Python implementations and I don't want to pull in another
19 Python accidentally.
20
21 Cheers,
22 Trevor