From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-python <gentoo-python@l.g.o>
Cc: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Python 3 in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 15:30:28
1 On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 11:22 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
3 >> So, another possible alternative here is to scour the tree, replacing
4 >> any dependencies on dev-lang/python with || deps. I believe
5 >> python.eclass would also need to be updated. Does that sound like an
6 >> acceptable solution?
7 >
8 > It sounds pretty messy, but I guess it depends on how many packages
9 > depend on bare dev-lang/python.
10 >
11 > I guess I still think it should be possible to give Portage a hint not
12 > to install a new SLOT if the old SLOT is okay.
15 In this case, I think we would need something more subtle than that;
16 most users would want a hypothetical python-2.8 to be installed, and
17 python-3 users will certainly want to be upgraded to python-3.3 when
18 that lands.
19
20 In other words, if we tell portage not to upgrade to a new slot
21 automatically, that means users would have to manually install each
22 major release of python.
23
24 I think this would be much simpler if we only slotted python on the
25 major version (2 or 3), but I'm sure there are many users who would
26 object to that (myself included).