From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Marien Zwart <marienz@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-python@l.g.o, python@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Re: Naming of PyPy and PyPy3 executables
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 11:07:46
1 Dnia 2013-08-19, o godz. 20:43:05
2 Marien Zwart <marienz@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 8:29 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 > > This raises the question: how should we name our PyPy executables?
6 > > While I really like the 'pypyX.Y' idea, I don't really want to see
7 > > 'pypy32.1' :). We could go for 'pypy-X.Y' and 'pypy3-X.Y' but that would
8 > > be inconsistent with CPython (pythonX.Y) and Jython (jythonX.Y0).
9 > > A somehow ugly alternative would be to use 'pypy-cX.Y' and 'pypy3-cX.Y'
10 > > but that is quite a custom invention.
11 >
12 > I believe Jython follows CPython's versioning. If PyPy supports python
13 > 2 and 3 using differently-named binaries from the same PyPy version
14 > (which doesn't follow any particular CPython version) we'll either
15 > have to deviate from PyPy's version number in how we name our
16 > binaries, or be inconsistent with CPython/Jython in how we name them.
17 >
18 > I think your pypy-x.y / pypy3-x.y suggestion could work.
19 >
20 > An alternative would be to include the version of the bundled CPython
21 > stdlib into the name. Unfortunately (for the naming scheme) I think
22 > we'd still want to support simultaneous installation of different PyPy
23 > versions with the same bundled stdlib version, so we'd then have to
24 > stick both into the installed binary's version number (pypy2.7-2.1,
25 > pypy3.2-2.1). We could then add some symlinks, so we'd have pypy3.2
26 > and pypy3 counterparts to python3.2 and python3. Having those would
27 > appeal to me, but (if we want to support multiple PyPy versions per
28 > CPython stdlib version) that's a lot of extra wrappers floating
29 > around.
30
31 That sounds like a lot of effort with no real gain.
32
33 > So I think your simpler approach (pypy-2.1, pypy3-2.1) would be best
34 > for now. We'll have to keep an eye out for what other distros and
35 > upstream do.
36
37 Other distros didn't support having multiple PyPy versions before.
38 I mean, we can expect them to have just one PyPy + PyPy 3.
41 Best regards,
42 Michał Górny