From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Maxim Koltsov <maksbotan@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] python-distutils.eclass vs. python.eclass + distutils.eclass
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 09:53:33
1 On Sat, 26 May 2012 13:32:30 +0400
2 Maxim Koltsov <maksbotan@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I want to say that I personally don't want to use python-distutils-ng
5 > in its current state and I know several active python ebuild writers
6 > that are not Gentoo developers and they don't want to use it too.
7 > First of all, how well is this eclass adapted to packages not using
8 > distutils? Old eclass had set of convenient functions
9 > (python_execute_function, python_generate_wrapper_scripts,
10 > python_conver_shebangs). I see some functions like these ones in new
11 > eclass, but can they serve as good replace and is their API public and
12 > stable?
13
14 We're planning on splitting some basic 'python' eclass out of it. Just
15 someone needs to do that, or I'll when I'll have more time and a good
16 plan.
17
18 > Then, we think that this ruby-ng style approach with PYTHON_TARGETS is
19 > a bit uncomfortable for end users and developers. This is going to be
20 > pain for all users if eclass gets used widely. Eclass allows developer
21 > not to set PYTHON_COMPAT and populate it with all available values —
22 > well, it's nice.
23
24 I think we can disable that early if new Python versions are likely to
25 introduce breakages.
26
27 > But imagine that Python 3.3 arrives. All ebuilds
28 > using new eclass will get new IUSE and therefore will be rebuilt
29 > during emerge --update --newuse world. That's hardly sensible. It's
30 > awful to rebuild packages which might be very 'heavy' just for
31 > nothing.
32
33 We don't support '--newuse' in Gentoo. People who do that are on their
34 own. We have enough problems to care about in our workflow.
35
36 > On the other hand, if developers are forced to set PYTHON_COMPAT, this
37 > will result in great delays in getting new python support to Gentoo.
38 > You can say that ruby-ng has the same behavior and nobody complains.
39 > But python is not ruby. Ruby 1.8 to 1.9 transitition was connected
40 > with a lot of incompabilities, so one could not assume that ruby-1.8
41 > package will work on 1.9. Python 3.2 to 3.3 transitition should be
42 > harmless and almost all packages will require no changes. So some
43 > implicit mechanism of doing this must be implemented.
44
45 I guess that 3.2->3.3 would include having python3_3 masked for
46 a longer while to test it.
49 Best regards,
50 Michał Górny