From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-python@l.g.o, python@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Killing CPython 2.5, 3.1 and PyPy 1.9
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 14:04:12
1 On Sun, 2013-08-04 at 11:01 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hello, folks.
5 > I think we should start dropping support for really old
6 > implementations. PyPy 1.9 probably has most of the agreement already.
7 >
8 > For CPython 2.5, it's mostly virtual/pil giving me creeps. Since old
9 > imaging does not support 3.3 and PIL does not support 2.5, there is no
10 > way all impls could be satisfied with the virtual. So I dropped 2.5
11 > from my PYTHON_TARGETS a while ago and I don't test packages against it
12 > anymore.
15 I had to drop 2.5 from my targets as well, pkgs are starting to fail
16 with it as more are dropping 2.5 support. the current layman-2.0.0
17 supports 2.5 which was used by some embedded devs, but it will be the
18 last one I support with layman. Next minor version will be 2.6+.
19
20 Yeah time to drop 2.5
21
22 > For CPython 3.1, I guess nobody really cares about it. At least I don't
23 > recall a single reason to keep it.
26 Yeah, nuke 3.1 it has compatibility issues with other 2.x and 3.x
27 releases. Several app-portage pkgs had to drop support for 3.1 due to
28 that. Upstream even dropped support for it.
29
30 > What do you think?
31 >
32 > (of course, we'd have to ensure updated PYTHON_TARGETS prior to killing)
36 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>