From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-python <gentoo-python@l.g.o>
Cc: python <python@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-python] Help needed with adding tests to Python packages
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 19:06:26
Hi, everyone.

We're a fair bit behind with updating packages to support Python 3.5
[1,2]. I've been doing some testing-and-adding myself lately. Sadly, I
have to say that what was supposed to be a pretty simple experience
turned out a bumpy fix-a-lot-of-mistakes road.

Unlike what some people claim, updating PYTHON_COMPAT is not a problem.
Neither should be testing the changes. The major problem is bad quality
of multiple ebuilds that require immediate attention before python3.5
can be even added. The biggest issue is lack of tests.

While I can agree that sometimes tests in Python packages are poorly
written upstream or not present at all, there's a lot of packages where
lack of tests is purely the Gentoo maintainer's fault, and once added
they work seamlessly.

So if you have some time, please take a look at our Python packages,
especially those on the list for 3.5 testing ([1]), and enable test
support whenever possible. Even partially failing tests are better than
none.

In the matter of instructions, I would like to remind you that distutils
don't have a single method of running tests. Some upstreams support
the setuptools 'test' command, some require using specific test systems.
  Some tips regarding the common cases can be found on [3].

If you decide to add 3.5 to packages, please also test 3.6 to avoid
revisiting the package again soon. If the new implementations fail,
preferably please file a bug to ensure that we can track it.

Thanks in advance! Please also let me know if you can think of some ways
to improve our documentation.

[1]:https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gpyutils/34-to-35.txt
[2]:https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gpyutils/34-to-35.svg
[3]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Python/Tests