From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-python] python-distutils-ng -- the future?
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 21:59:46
1 I've just looked through python-distutils-ng again and I think it
2 deserves at least a bit of changes, if not complete redesign.
3
4 It is currently used by 22 packages in Gentoo, and probably a few
5 in the overlays. I'd honestly prefer to avoid further packages doing
6 that before we decide on how to proceed. That's why the first patch I'm
7 suggesting somehow marks is as work-in-progress and asks people not to
8 use it yet.
9
10 The second and third patches just fix one of the formal problems.
11
12 The fourth patch completely removes PYTHON_OPTIONAL support. It is not
13 used by any of the mentioned packages right now and that way I'd like to
14 avoid it being used by anything else, before we redesign it.
15
16 The major issue I see with it is that it hardcodes the 'python' flag.
17 That's a bit mistaken, I believe. Not that I see much use for
18 an optional Python support in package using distutils, and if there is
19 one, I believe developers will find it more comfortable to do:
20
21 use python && python-distutils-ng_src_compile
22
23 than expect the eclass to do that check for them.
24
25 We also should think about USE-dependencies more (I will think about it
26 myself, trying to find some working solution better than one suggested
27 by Arfrever [the <<[use]>>]). It will be hard thinking...
28
29 And one thing certainly needing discussing is extracting some
30 common-python code to a separate eclass, without the distutils part.
31 To be honest, I'd rather move the whole 'optionality' of Python there.
32
33 And lastly, the name. Considering the amount of work that needs to be
34 done, we might also decide to 'lastrite' the eclass and work on a new
35 one, replacing 'ng' with something saner.