From: "Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek)" <neurogeek@g.o>
To: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-python <gentoo-python@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Python 3 in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 22:09:14
1 +1
2 On Aug 8, 2012 5:44 PM, "Thomas Sachau" <tommy@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Mike Gilbert schrieb:
5 > > On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
6 > wrote:
7 > >> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
8 > wrote:
9 > >>>> So do you know how many ebuilds we'd have to update to get it right?
10 > >>>>
11 > >>>
12 > >>> At the moment, no. If someone could help me write a script to identify
13 > >>> affected packages, that would be great.
14 > >>>
15 > >>> If said script uses the portage api to determine the dependency tree,
16 > >>> we will want to modify python.eclass first to reduce the number of
17 > >>> hits. This could be done in a local copy of the tree.
18 > >>
19 > >> I've created a quick little script and posted it in my devspace. Now I
20 > >> just need to mess with python.eclass.
21 > >>
22 > >> http://dev.gentoo.org/~floppym/python-deps.py
23 > >
24 > > After modifying python.eclass, distutils.eclass, java-ant-2.eclass,
25 > > and waf-utils.eclass, there are 532 dependencies that would need to be
26 > > modified to make the || dep plan work. I have attached the list for
27 > > reference.
28 > >
29 > > Does this seem like a viable option? Is anyone going to volunteer to
30 > > take it from here?
33 > If everyone agrees with this route, i suggest a post to the gentoo-dev
34 > mailing list about this planned change and a request for maintainers to
35 > change their dependencies accordingly.
36 > Additionally i suggest to add it also to some written doc, e.g. the
37 > python developer guide.
38 > After giving maintainers some time for that change, we could then open
39 > bugs or do the remaining needed conversions (when the maintainer is
40 > missing or gives his ok).
43 > --
44 >
45 > Thomas Sachau