From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-python <gentoo-python@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-python] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Updates from Python team: python.eclass gone, gpyutils updates, incoming PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET change
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 01:21:45
1 On 04/17/2017 01:39 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi, everyone.
3 >
4 > Here's a quick summary of the recent events in the Python ecosystem
5 > in Gentoo, and quick note of what's to come.
8 > python.eclass is gone, next things to come
9 > ==========================================
10 >
11 > As you probably learned already, python.eclass and distutils.eclass were
12 > removed almost a month ago. This concluded a long effort of many
13 > developers; once again, I would like to thank all of them for their help
14 > and continued support.
15 >
16 > With python.eclass gone, there are still many things to do. A few years
17 > ago, Arfrever has been filing bugs requesting developers to improve
18 > the use of python.eclass in their ebuilds -- today, we need to ask
19 > developers to improve their use of python-r1.
20 >
21 > The most important tasks at the moment are:
22 >
23 > a. working on improving test suite statuses of Python packages -- good
24 > and reliable test suites make all other work much easier;
25 >
26 > b. working on porting Python packages to newer versions of CPython 3.5
27 > and 3.6 -- we really ought to stabilize at least 3.5 soon;
28 >
29 > c. fixing common mistakes in using python-r1 -- missing REQUIRED_USE,
30 > dependencies, partial USE conditionals;
31 >
32 > d. converting the few remaining packages that depend on python directly
33 > to use one of the eclasses.
34 > [snip]
35
36 First, thanks a lot for the announcement. It's good to see Python
37 support improving across the board.
38
39 I originally had a question about item (d) in the above list, but
40 managed to find some documentation regarding this. [1] If changes like
41 this need documentation, don't you think it's best to make sure that
42 documentation effort doesn't go to waste (i.e. it gets linked to where
43 relevant)? I don't intend to be rude, in fact I really appreciate the
44 fact it was documented. It would cut down on questions to include such a
45 link, however, and might even accelerate the conversion in the long run.
46 Just a suggestion.
47
48 Thanks again for the continued effort, and the quality documentation
49 that accompanies it.
50
51 [1]: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Python/Python.eclass_conversion
54 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
55 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
56 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6