From: Nikolaj Sjujskij <sterkrig@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Cc: Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] New eclass for Python
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 17:42:58
Den 2012-05-14 20:12:51 skrev Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael@g.o>:

> On 13/05/12 21:57, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote: >> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 10:32 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> >> wrote: >>> Why not emulate php/ruby and set a default value in the base profile? >>> See profiles/base/make.defaults. >>> >>> I think PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_2" would be a reasonable >>> choice. >> >> Yeah, I think we should provide a default value, and this default >> value looks good to me. > > Feel free to do so :) I would disagree with adding py3 to default, but > it's only me.
It would be pretty strange if we had had Py3k as default Python (i.e. in stage3) and PYTHON_TARGETS for another version altogether. And how would new eclass behave in such case? Just-out-of-stage3 system would have only Python 3.2 installed, but PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_2". Let's say user tries to: # emerge -av pygments Of course, assuming dev-python/pygments had been ported to new eclass. Would python-distutils-ng handle this correctly and transparently? Without obscure errors like "You wants Python 2.7 but haz no Python 2.7"? Without pulling dev-lang/python:2.7 in? If not, I call this serious usability regression.

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-python] New eclass for Python Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael@g.o>