From: Kacper Kowalik <xarthisius@g.o>
To: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] [RFC] Creating Python project overlay
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 12:51:30
On 05/16/2012 02:29 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Kacper Kowalik <xarthisius@g.o> wrote: >> I'd like to propose that we create and maintain overlay for Python >> project. As I envision it, it would mostly oriented towards the users >> (read new developers). We could encourage people to push new version >> bumps there, keep packages not-yet-ready for tree (alphas,betas,rc) etc. > > Can you say something about what/how this would make things better > (either for users/almost-developer holdouts or for us)?
Taking vesion bump as an example: 1) Current workflow - user attaches ebuild/diff to bugzi, you `bugz attachment` it, do all fixes, commit to tree or reject entirely, leaving a comment on bugzilla. Sometimes it's possible to interact via IRC. 2) Overlay workflow - user issues a PR, you can comment on per-line basis that stays with the code (and can for example later serve for creating "common mistakes made in ebuilds"), you can patch ebuild on-the spot and request user to take it back and test it, etc. The history of changes stays behind in an easy accessible place. I'd compare 1) as doing vcs as adding current date to filename, and 2) as doing vcs with vcs :) Additionally 2) gives you nice web UI and some users find it appealing. Cheers, Kacper