From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Replacing python-wrapper with python-exec
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 17:07:29
1 On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 5:17 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > 3) add an '#if' clause and build the Python-relevant code conditionally.
3 >
4 > In other words, let python-exec install both regular 'python-exec'
5 > and the 'python' binary built from the same code with '#if' switched.
6 >
7 > Pros:
8 >
9 > - still simple, and clean.
10 >
11 > Cons:
12 >
13 > - two executables installed.
16 > What are your thoughts?
19 If others agree that replacing python-wrapper is a good idea to begin
20 with, this option would be my choice.
21
22 FYI, bypassing the setenv(GENTOO_PYTHON_PROCESS_NAME, ...) that is set
23 in python-wrapper.c could cause issues with python-based daemons
24 called from init scripts. If a pidfile is not used, openrc might not
25 be able to find the right process. However, a pidfile seems to be a
26 better solution for that anyway.
27
28 I'm sure djc would love to drop that patch from our dev-lang/python patchset.