From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-python <gentoo-python@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Python 3 in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 07:37:03
1 On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 4:13 AM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 > Is anyone in favor or opposed to this package rename idea? Are there any
3 > better ideas?
4
5 I've always thought renaming python-3 to python3 is faux-namespacing,
6 and the thing SLOTs are supposed to help out with. Why aren't SLOTs
7 helping us with this?
8
9 The problem I have with it is that inevitably there's going to be a
10 time we don't care about python-2 anymore, and we'll be stuck with the
11 python3 package name (or have to go through annoying mechanics to
12 rename it back).
13
14 I agree that installing both is probably overkill for most users. I
15 think the solution is somewhere outside the dev-lang/python package,
16 though, in having the system set or portage or whatever the hell it is
17 that first pulls in python prefer python-2.
18
19 Cheers,
20
21 Dirkjan