From: Kacper Kowalik <xarthisius@g.o>
To: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-python] Timeframe for supporting Python versions
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 18:17:36
Hi all,
I'd like to bring a discussion that was started over irc for broader
audience. Namely:
1) how long are we supposed to keep old version of Python in Portage?
2) how many version should we actively maintained?

What came up:
 * python2.5 is no longer supported upstream since May 2011 and is first
candidate for purging
 * python3.2 supersedes python3.1 without introducing any obvious
incompatibilities (at least that's what they claim here[1])

What's worth noting is that upstream itself will provide/provides new
release cycle, introducing LTS version of python[2]. First proposal by
neurogeek, is that following pep0407 we should obsolete versions of
python 6 months after upstream ceases to support them. (+1 from me on that)

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-python] Timeframe for supporting Python versions Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>