From: Nikolaj Sjujskij <sterkrig@×××××××.com>
To: Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] New eclass for Python
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 06:56:15
Den 2012-05-12 14:04:36 skrev Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael@g.o>:

>>> - uses PYTHON_TARGETS use-expand (no more python-updater, whoooo!) >> Hm... Does it require users to maintain correct PYTHON_TARGETS in >> make.conf? No default/fallback value? > > No, I'm a *HUGE* fan of free choice -- I don't know which Python version > you want, so select the correct one yourself. It's a one-time choice > anyway.
Just as Michał has pointed it, it is not.
>> It's not big deal, of course, but kind of annoying after so many years >> of automatic "build for current Python version unless USE_PYTHON is >> set". > To me it's an advantage :)
Why? 90% of users just use latest Python available, i.e. 2.7 and 3.2 at the moment, and don't really care about actual versions. python.eclass handles this smoothly, probably using eselect'ed versions. Only few people (like me) set USE_PYTHON to suit their needs. Why new eclass cannot behave in a similar way? Where's the profit? There's open bug already: