From: Matthew Summers <quantumsummers@g.o>
To: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Python 3 in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 13:19:01
1 Seems to me that the easiest way to manage this would be to set
2 USE="python2" for portage in the profile, IFF you want to prevent
3 python:3 in the stages.
4
5 That said, I don't see what the real issue is here. Those that want
6 python:2 and/or python:3 will set USE_PYTHON correctly. I am concerned
7 here that a vocal minority will cause some invasive change that the
8 silent majority cares little about. Some may find the current status
9 annoying, others will find the change annoying (me being one of the
10 latter).
11
12 Unless someone can provide empirical data to backup any claim, one way
13 or the other, I would strongly suggest that no change be made,
14 especially without further consultation regarding the _proposed_
15 change with the developer and user communities.
16
17 Thank you for your consideration.
18
19 Matt