From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-python <gentoo-python@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Python 3 in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 21:32:44
1 Mike Gilbert schrieb:
2 > On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 3:36 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
3 >> I agree that installing both is probably overkill for most users. I
4 >> think the solution is somewhere outside the dev-lang/python package,
5 >> though, in having the system set or portage or whatever the hell it is
6 >> that first pulls in python prefer python-2.
7 >
8 > I looked into this, and there are currently two things that will pull
9 > python-3 into a stage3:
10 >
11 > 1. sys-apps/portage due to its >=dev-lang/python-2.7[ssl] dependency.
12 > 2. app-admin/python-updater has a bare "dev-lang/python" dependency.
13 >
14 > I have verified that if you install python:2.7, and adjust those
15 > dependencies to the following, portage will no longer try to pull in
16 > python-3.2 on a world update.
17 >
18 > sys-apps/portage:
19 >
20 > DEPEND="|| ( =dev-lang/python-3*[ssl] dev-lang/python:2.7[ssl]
21 > dev-lang/python:2.6[threads,ssl] )"
22 >
23 > app-admin/python-updater:
24 >
25 > DEPEND="|| ( dev-lang/python-3* dev-lang/python-2* )"
26 >
27 > The || deps are key here; this causes portage to weight an already
28 > installed package over the rest.
29 >
30 > In fact, if you reverse the order of python-3 and python-2, that
31 > SHOULD cause python-2 to be pulled into the stage building process
32 > instead of python-3.
33 >
34 > So, another possible alternative here is to scour the tree, replacing
35 > any dependencies on dev-lang/python with || deps. I believe
36 > python.eclass would also need to be updated. Does that sound like an
37 > acceptable solution?
41 If this prevents python-3 to be pulled in also python-2 does still
42 satisfies all requirements (for stage3 and for updates), then this looks
43 like an acceptable solution with less work. It would also mean, that
44 PYTHON_TARGETS could again just go with python2_7.
45
46 The only drawback i see with this solution is, that python dependencies
47 need to be done carefully, so that noone does accidently pull python-3
48 in again at some later point.
52 Thomas Sachau
53 Gentoo Linux Developer