From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-python@l.g.o, python@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Re: distutils-r1: a bit of clean up + parallel builds
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 16:38:42
1 On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 11:29:35 -0500
2 Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I was just thinking to myself last night that parallel builds/installs
5 > would be nice. You must be psychic.
6
7 Well, to be honest I was attempting of doing this earlier. But hit
8 the problem that parallel install had a race condition between setup.py
9 and renaming scripts. And I decided once then that this is not
10 important to make scary intermediate image magic.
11
12 Today I have thought it over again and noticed that the intermediate
13 images can be done simpler than python.eclass does it.
14
15 > My thought was to add a flag/variable for python_foreach_impl, but
16 > your method should work just as well.
17
18 I was thinking a bit about that one too. However, I don't like adding
19 option parsing to random commands, and I don't see much use of parallel
20 runs outside of distutils. I believe that those calls mostly do simple
21 things (like installing a single file) or call a build system which
22 supports parallel builds itself.
23
24 > Building the temporary image in sub-directories of ${D} feels a bit
25 > strange, but I guess it works. I think distutils.eclass used ${T}?
26
27 Yes, it used ${T}. I assumed that ${D} is closer to the final
28 directory, therefore it is less likely for any issues to occur.
29 Theoretically a PM can put ${T} on some kind of tmpfs while ${D}
30 on the root filesystem to make merging faster.
33 Best regards,
34 Michał Górny