From: "Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek)" <neurogeek@g.o>
To: "Johan Bergström" <bugs@××××××××××.nu>
Cc: Kacper Kowalik <xarthisius@g.o>, gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Timeframe for supporting Python versions
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 13:52:45
1 Hi guys,
2
3 On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Johan Bergström <bugs@××××××××××.nu> wrote:
4 > Hey,
7 > On Tuesday, 1 May 2012 at 7:01 AM, Kacper Kowalik wrote:
8 >
9 >> On 30.04.2012 22:13, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
10 >> > On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 20:17, Kacper Kowalik <xarthisius@g.o (mailto:xarthisius@g.o)> wrote:
11 >> > > 1) how long are we supposed to keep old version of Python in Portage?
12 >> > > 2) how many version should we actively maintained?
13 >> >
14 >> >
15 >> >
16 >> > I'm not sure we need hard rules here. IMO the current approach (i.e.
17 >> > just talking about it and dropping as we decide it makes sense) is
18 >> > just fine. In particular, some version bumps are just harder than
19 >> > others, and adoption of new versions is always different (i.e. for 3.x
20 >> > and 2.x versions is obviously a very different story right now). From
21 >> > the other side (for example, in Mercurial depends), it also depends
22 >> > how big of a boon new features are.
23 >> >
24 >> > So let's just decide on a case-by-case when we deprecate a version? As
25 >> > for 2.5, are we seeing increased incompatibility yet? Any recent
26 >> > examples? I think 2.5 is close to deprecation, but I'm personally not
27 >> > getting the impression it's getting to be a big PITA just yet.
28
29 I wasn't trying to impose hard rules either, just to have rules that
30 would give us a notion on when to start considering punting an older
31 version. I'm not really sure about this, but I think fixes aren't
32 being backported to Python2.5 anymore on upstream, and Python2.6 is
33 now the LTS version. If thats the case, the burden on fixing important
34 bugs in unsupported versions will fall on us.
35
36 Also, Python2.4 differs from Python2.5 way more than Python2.5 differs
37 from Python2.6, and Python2.6 is pretty stable nowadays. So, I don't
38 think we will have a problem in that front if we decide to drop 2.5.
39
40 So, no hard rules, but a general "agreement" to start discussing Pros
41 and Cons after certain "events".
42
43 BTW, Twisted is dropping support for Python2.5 after their 12.1
44 release, which will be soon.
45
46 Cheers,
51 >> 10% of packages that restrict Python abi in any way, restrict 2.5 (I've
52 >> grepped for "\(2.\[45\]\|2.5\)") That's the only statistics I could
53 >> think of.
54 >>
55 >> I'm not aware of any security bugs related to 2.5 branch
56 > I raised the same question a couple of months ago, just to get a discussion going on what we consider "deprecated". Python 2.5 is one of those versions that actually work pretty well, so it will probably be here for a long time. A perhaps better way of looking at this is how many packages that depend explicitly on 2.5 to work and understand why upstream stays there.
57 >
58 > For me as a fellow package bumper, I'd say that 2.5 is still good to go.
59 >>
60 >> Cheers,
61 >> Kacper
62 >