From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-python] To refactor python-distutils-ng or introduce distutils-r1?
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 13:16:57
1 Hello,
2
3 I'd like to bring a quick topic, preferably answered yes/no, preferably
4 after reading the remaining part ;).
5
6 Considering that python-r1 patches so far are clean, should I:
7
8 a) integrate python-distutils-ng with python-r1 and change its API
9 as listed below (the API changes don't collide with any used
10 functionality),
11
12 b) leave python-distutils-ng in place and work on distutils-r1 with
13 a clean start.
16 And now what changes in API will be necessary to make p-d-ng play nice
17 with python-r1. I've assumed that functions prefixed with an underscore
18 are private and didn't care about them.
19
20 None of the listed features are used by any ebuild in the tree, unless
21 I have missed something ;).
22
23 1. Remove PYTHON_OPTIONAL -- I really dislike the way it is done
24 (it's practically a switch to hardwire 'python?' in a few places,
25 without any flexibility);
26
27 2. Convert PYTHON_COMPAT to an array -- this will usually mean that
28 ebuilds can't look up ${PYTHON_COMPAT} safely (the change is done
29 for practical reasons);
30
31 3. Stop passing Python ABI and executable as parameters to phase
32 functions -- these are not really useful (since they are available
33 as ${EPYTHON} and ${PYTHON} anyway. Removing them will allow me to
34 implement a 'foreach' function being able to pass arbitrary
35 parameters to invoked commands.
36
37 What do you think? Should I change p-d-ng ABI like that (errr, how I
38 hate that name) or just introduce a new eclass?
41 Best regards,
42 Michał Górny