From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-python <gentoo-python@l.g.o>
Cc: python@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-python] RFC: dropping slots on PyPy
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 16:57:34
1 Hello, all.
2
3 PyPy is currently slotted in a way similar to other versions of Python.
4 However, versioning of PyPy doesn't really fit the way CPython is
5 versioned and the almost-per-version slotting seems unnecessary.
6
7 My idea is to switch to a single slot of PyPy starting with the next
8 version to enter gx86. That is, we would no longer have:
9
10 PYTHON_COMPAT=( pypy{1_8,1_9,2_0} ... )
11
12 but instead:
13
14 PYTHON_COMPAT=( pypy pypy3 )
15
16 Similarly, we'd either have dev-python/pypy with slots 2 and 3, or even
17 separate dev-python/pypy3 with slot 0.
18
19 We would also add := subslot deps to enforce package rebuilds on pypy
20 upgrade.
21
22 The existing slots could be kept alive as long as pypy2.0 is supported.
25 Rationale:
26
27 Multiple slots of PyPy are using the standard library from the same
28 slot of CPython. Considering that slotting mostly helps prevent
29 breakages on upgrade, I don't think we actually need to make more
30 guarantees about PyPy than about CPython.
31
32 Therefore, new versions of PyPy often cause less trouble than new
33 versions of CPython. Testing all packages and updating PYTHON_COMPAT
34 on each new release of PyPy seems like a overkill to me.
35
36 Then, with pypy3 around, the version number appending ends up really
37 nasty. Having just 'pypy' and 'pypy3' will simply be cleaner :).
40 What do you think?
43 Best regards,
44 Michał Górny