From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] To refactor python-distutils-ng or introduce distutils-r1?
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 06:06:28
1 On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 13:16:10 +0800
2 Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 26 September 2012 21:16, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Hello,
6 > >
7 > > I'd like to bring a quick topic, preferably answered yes/no, preferably
8 > > after reading the remaining part ;).
9 > >
10 > > Considering that python-r1 patches so far are clean, should I:
11 > >
12 > > a) integrate python-distutils-ng with python-r1 and change its API
13 > > as listed below (the API changes don't collide with any used
14 > > functionality),
15 > >
16 > > b) leave python-distutils-ng in place and work on distutils-r1 with
17 > > a clean start.
20 > > And now what changes in API will be necessary to make p-d-ng play nice
21 > > with python-r1. I've assumed that functions prefixed with an underscore
22 > > are private and didn't care about them.
23 > >
24 > > None of the listed features are used by any ebuild in the tree, unless
25 > > I have missed something ;).
26 > >
27 > > 1. Remove PYTHON_OPTIONAL -- I really dislike the way it is done
28 > > (it's practically a switch to hardwire 'python?' in a few places,
29 > > without any flexibility);
30 > >
31 > > 2. Convert PYTHON_COMPAT to an array -- this will usually mean that
32 > > ebuilds can't look up ${PYTHON_COMPAT} safely (the change is done
33 > > for practical reasons);
34 > >
35 > > 3. Stop passing Python ABI and executable as parameters to phase
36 > > functions -- these are not really useful (since they are available
37 > > as ${EPYTHON} and ${PYTHON} anyway. Removing them will allow me to
38 > > implement a 'foreach' function being able to pass arbitrary
39 > > parameters to invoked commands.
40 > >
41 > > What do you think? Should I change p-d-ng ABI like that (errr, how I
42 > > hate that name) or just introduce a new eclass?
43 > >
44 > > --
45 > > Best regards,
46 > > Michał Górny
47 >
48 > Sorry for the (relatively) late reply. I was very busy this week.
49
50 No problem, I remembered your vote from the last time we spoke :).
53 Best regards,
54 Michał Górny