From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Cc: python@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-python] Killing CPython 2.5, 3.1 and PyPy 1.9
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 09:01:43
1 Hello, folks.
2
3 PyPy 2.1 is out, we expected PyPy3 2.1 and CPython 3.4 at some point.
4 Then Jython 2.7 (maybe sometime near CPython 3.6).
5
6 I think we should start dropping support for really old
7 implementations. PyPy 1.9 probably has most of the agreement already.
8
9 For CPython 2.5, it's mostly virtual/pil giving me creeps. Since old
10 imaging does not support 3.3 and PIL does not support 2.5, there is no
11 way all impls could be satisfied with the virtual. So I dropped 2.5
12 from my PYTHON_TARGETS a while ago and I don't test packages against it
13 anymore.
14
15 For CPython 3.1, I guess nobody really cares about it. At least I don't
16 recall a single reason to keep it.
17
18 What do you think?
19
20 (of course, we'd have to ensure updated PYTHON_TARGETS prior to killing)
23 Best regards,
24 Michał Górny