From: "Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek)" <neurogeek@g.o>
To: Matthew Summers <quantumsummers@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-python@l.g.o, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>, Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Python 3 in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 14:00:21
1 On Jul 30, 2012 9:11 AM, "Matthew Summers" <quantumsummers@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 >
4 > On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 6:56 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
7 >> > Portage will pull python3 if and only if anything depends on python:3.*
8 >> > or anything depends on python without a SLOT (or either is in @world).
9 >> > If you want it not there, you have to make sure the deps explicitly
10 >> > state it.
11 >>
12 >> So how did python3 end up in the stages again, exactly?
13 >>
14 >> Cheers,
15 >>
16 >> Dirkjan
19 > Dirkjan, I believe it is portage that pulls in python:3, since by default
20 it prefers the latest stable version.
21
22 IIRC, the only package that pulls python in is portage. And python 3 is
23 being pulled as it is the latest version available in a slotted package
24 that can be installed depending on both slots.
25
26 I believe we are past the point of no return in transforming python:3 into
27 dev-lang/python3 as this is going to break things and make life harder for
28 the python team.
29
30 Doesn't portage have a python3 useflag? Can't we change the default
31 behavior on that flag to (or unset it in catalyst) to make it prefer
32 python2?
35 > --
36 > Matthew W. Summers
37 > Gentoo Foundation Inc.