From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Python 3 in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 19:07:55
1 On 08/08/2012 05:44 PM, Thomas Sachau wrote:
2 > Mike Gilbert schrieb:
3 >> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
5 >>>>> So do you know how many ebuilds we'd have to update to get it right?
6 >>>>>
7 >>>>
8 >>>> At the moment, no. If someone could help me write a script to identify
9 >>>> affected packages, that would be great.
10 >>>>
11 >>>> If said script uses the portage api to determine the dependency tree,
12 >>>> we will want to modify python.eclass first to reduce the number of
13 >>>> hits. This could be done in a local copy of the tree.
14 >>>
15 >>> I've created a quick little script and posted it in my devspace. Now I
16 >>> just need to mess with python.eclass.
17 >>>
18 >>> http://dev.gentoo.org/~floppym/python-deps.py
19 >>
20 >> After modifying python.eclass, distutils.eclass, java-ant-2.eclass,
21 >> and waf-utils.eclass, there are 532 dependencies that would need to be
22 >> modified to make the || dep plan work. I have attached the list for
23 >> reference.
24 >>
25 >> Does this seem like a viable option? Is anyone going to volunteer to
26 >> take it from here?
29 > If everyone agrees with this route, i suggest a post to the gentoo-dev
30 > mailing list about this planned change and a request for maintainers to
31 > change their dependencies accordingly.
32 > Additionally i suggest to add it also to some written doc, e.g. the
33 > python developer guide.
34 > After giving maintainers some time for that change, we could then open
35 > bugs or do the remaining needed conversions (when the maintainer is
36 > missing or gives his ok).
40 Any changes to package dependencies should be semantically equivalent to
41 what they are now, so we should only need the Gentoo Python team to sign
42 off on this. We would still want to make some kind of gentoo-dev
43 announcement to let people know that this is changing though.