From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Testing dev-lang/python version bumps
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 13:03:34
1 Thanks for doing this! Sorry it took so long to review them... we
2 should try to think of some easier review mechanism than putting up a
3 tarball you have to unpack.
4
5 On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 03:12, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
6 > If we can get some people testing these that would be great. I would
7 > like to add them to the tree sometime in the next week.
8
9 I wonder, do you have a rationale for including each patch? IMO,
10 Arfrever has a tendency to diverge a bit further from upstream than I
11 like, and I note that you've taken in some patches and don't seem to
12 have gone in upstream. These are the differences between my 2.7.3
13 patchset and your 2.7.3-0:
14
15 1. Added 08_all_regenerate_platform-specific_modules.patch, which
16 doesn't seem to be upstream yet.
17 2. Added back 22_all_turkish_locale.patch, which AFAIK isn't upstream,
18 nor associated with an open upstream bug?
19 3. Added 61_all_process_data.patch, for which the goal seems somewhat unclear.
20
21 You also removed the mention of the upstream bug from
22 04_all_libdir.patch, probably just by mistake?
23
24 As for 3.2.3, I'm also -1 on including 23_all_h2py_encoding.patch
25 after reading http://bugs.python.org/issue13032. Including
26 26_all_gdbm-1.9.patch in 3.1.5 is probably a good idea. For 3.1.5's
27 09_all_sys.platform_linux2.patch, I'd prefer if we just reuse
28 ${FILESDIR}/linux2.patch, unless that doesn't apply for some reason.
29
30 Now, we can certainly discuss adding these patches on this list, but I
31 think we should try to maintain some balance on the upside of having
32 extra fixes in our ebuilds and the amount of maintenance we're willing
33 to do on carrying those patches forward (e.g. the distutils patch is a
34 pretty big pain, and it seems like more of a feature than a bug). I
35 don't think we should throw everything out on revbumps or bugfix
36 releases, but for new releases such as 3.3 I would personally like to
37 do only the bare minimum of patching.
38
39 Cheers,
40
41 Dirkjan