From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-python <gentoo-python@l.g.o>, Gentoo Python Project <python@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Re: The future of PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 21:02:41
1 On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >> > B. they cause issues with REQUIRED_USE on other packages (like libpeas
3 >> > that supports only one version of python2 and one of python3). Even
4 >> > though PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET results in effective use of a single impl,
5 >> > PYTHON_TARGET USE-dep requests full PYTHON_TARGETS match on the dep.
6 >> > Therefore, the user needs to disable other implementations anyway to
7 >> > get the expected result.
8 >>
9 >> I don't understand this part. Can you please explain it? Maybe an example?
10 >
11 > gedit and libpeas, with gedit depending on libpeas. libpeas supports
12 > one version of Python 2 and one of Python 3, and gedit just one
13 > in general:
14 >
15 > libpeas is REQUIRED_USE=?? ( 2.* ) ?? ( 3.* )
16 > gedit is REQUIRED_USE=^^ ( 3.* )
17 >
18 > So libpeas needs python-r1 with specific REQUIRED_USE. gedit would be
19 > a candidate for python-single-r1 but...
20 >
21 > p-s-r1 enforces ^^ only on PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET. So I end up with
22 > something like:
23 >
24 > PYTHON_TARGETS="3.3 3.4" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="3.4"
25 >
26 > and this enforces dependency on libpeas[3.3,3.4] which contradicts its
27 > REQUIRED_USE. So we need also REQUIRED_USE=^^ ( 3.* ). But basically,
28 > the whole mess with the second variable doesn't really help here.
31 What I take away from this is that the libpeas ebuild is really weird:
32 supporting exactly one python2 and one python3 sounds like a horrible
33 hack that should be fixed.
34
35 I don't think this crazy REQUIRED_USE constraint is something we
36 should design for in the eclasses. Let's fix libpeas to work with
37 multiple python3 versions instead.