From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-python] What are the issues with Python namespaces?
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 23:26:35
1 Hi,
2
3 Arfrever likes to talk much about Python namespaces not being supported
4 by Gentoo but I feel like he's the only one knowing what the problems
5 exactly are. So, can you, Arfrever, or anyone else explain me what
6 exact problems we have to handle?
7
8 So far I was able to guess that it's about __init__.py files being
9 installed in parent directories of packages installed via namespaces.
10 I'd guess the major issue then is that if two packages install modules
11 like foo/A and foo/B, then both would try to install foo/__init__.py,
12 colliding painfully. And that seems to be the major thing addressed
13 by Progress namespaces support.
14
15 Looking at my tiny number of Python packages installed with namespaces,
16 I see two cases:
17
18 1) zope-fixers and zope-interface -- both install to 'zope', none
19 installs '__init__.py',
20
21 2) logilab-common -- installs to 'logilab' with other logilab packages,
22 and installs '__init__.py' there.
23
24 Is that something semi-random or does that mean that some upstreams
25 actually handle namespaces themselves?
26
27 I guess namespaces also like to cause trouble with tests and PYTHONPATH.
28
29 Am I misunderstand it? Missing something?
32 Best regards,
33 Michał Górny