From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Marien Zwart <marienz@g.o>
Cc: Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan@×××××××.nl>, gentoo-python <gentoo-python@l.g.o>, Gentoo Python Project <python@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Re: RFC: dropping slots on PyPy
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 05:02:10
1 Dnia 2014-01-14, o godz. 14:27:03
2 Marien Zwart <marienz@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On the other hand (at least in the short term) running an older PyPy
5 > isn't something I'd expect a lot of people to do: running the latest
6 > and greatest is usually beneficial, not just for features but also for
7 > better performance and fewer bugs. Chances are most users will either
8 > fix their code to work with latest PyPy, or run it under CPython for
9 > compatibility. That seems like an argument not to keep PyPy slotting
10 > if it's awkward to implement.
11
12 Oh, this reminds me of yet another argument. We're basically supporting
13 only one version of PyPy at a time. This makes the current workflow
14 like:
15
16 1. add new slot,
17
18 2. add PYTHON_COMPAT for new slot,
19
20 3. remove old slot.
21
22 So the two versions are really supported for a short time. I think we
23 may instead use the following work flow:
24
25 1. add new PyPy masked,
26
27 2. test packages,
28
29 3. unmask new PyPy :).
30
31 This would also mean that we'd be able to avoid removing old versions
32 of PyPy as fast as we do now.
35 Best regards,
36 Michał Górny