From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
Cc: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>, gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Python 3 in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 09:06:30
1 On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 10:32:50 +0200
2 Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
5 > >> I've always thought renaming python-3 to python3 is
6 > >> faux-namespacing, and the thing SLOTs are supposed to help out
7 > >> with. Why aren't SLOTs helping us with this?
8 > >
9 > > Portage will attempt to upgrade software to a newer SLOT if it will
10 > > satisfy a dependency. This works when you cannot select versions via
11 > > eselect, but it causes problems when you can. There is no way to
12 > > tell it to prefer the selected version upgrades in other slots
13 > > unless the selected version cannot satisfy it.
14 >
15 > Your last sentence fails to parse for me, perhaps expand one of the
16 > "it"s?
17 >
18 > > I think that having to switch back would cause far less pain than
19 > > the current situation would, assuming that we ever do. If the python
20 > > developers refuse to make python 2.8, it is likely that someone
21 > > else will.
22 >
23 > Please don't hope for a 2.8, it's simply not going to happen.
24 >
25 > >> I agree that installing both is probably overkill for most users. I
26 > >> think the solution is somewhere outside the dev-lang/python
27 > >> package, though, in having the system set or portage or whatever
28 > >> the hell it is that first pulls in python prefer python-2.
29 > >
30 > > This would require amending the package manager specification.
31 >
32 > Well, maybe we should explore that option. It would seem to solve a
33 > real problem that doesn't just apply to python. For example, the SLOT
34 > value could be prefixed with something to indicate that it should not
35 > be selected for upgrades automatically (i.e. other slots should be
36 > preferred).
37
38 [facepalm]
39
40 Or maybe we should explore the option of fixing python.eclass to not
41 depend on random python versions implicitly?
44 Best regards,
45 Michał Górny