From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-python] Do we need another 'new' python eclass besides python-distutils-ng?
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 17:45:47

So noone feels omitted, the first question with 'new' Python eclasses -
does 'just' python-distutils-ng suit us, or do we need to split out
a more basic eclass of some sort?

My opinion here: python-distutils-ng itself could be fine, because:

1) packages which don't support multiple Python ABIs probably don't
need anything like our USEflags or other stuff that -ng provides --
they're as good with the old python.eclass;

2) packages which use distutils are fine with p-d-ng;

3) packages which are built for multiple Python ABIs yet do not use
distutils need to declare python_compile() and stuff anyway. And if we
do, then p-d-ng is basically python-ng.

What're your thoughts?

Best regards,
Michał Górny