From: Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o>
To: gentoo-qa@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-qa] Support of other package managers
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 20:48:04
1 Seemant Kulleen wrote:
2 > So I think the question that
3 > we need to answer is *what* changes are necessary to the profiles and
4 > *why* -- or I suppose, why would paludis/pkgcore need to have its own
5 > profile?
6
7 The profile currently being proposed would change the default
8 virtual/portage provider, and ensure that paludis gets pulled in instead
9 of Portage in the system set. It would also serve as a proving ground,
10 if you will, for some profile features that Paludis supports and Portage
11 does not -- for example, profile level USE forcing (for example, the
12 ip28 USE flag in relevant Mips profiles), USE combination restrictions
13 (see the PHP ebuilds for where this could be useful), and potentially
14 multiple profile inheritance. According to my understanding of Portage's
15 profile handling, these will all be silently ignored by Portage, so
16 nothing will break. Paludis' profile handling is, as far as I know,
17 fully backwards compatible; the new profile is purely for the change in
18 the system set and to provide a place where people can use the new
19 features without stepping on anyone else's toes.
20 --
21 gentoo-qa@g.o mailing list