From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@g.o>
To: gentoo-qa@l.g.o
Cc: solar@g.o, ferringb@g.o, swegener@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-qa] Autorepoman/QA Goals
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:53:09
Alec Joseph Warner wrote:
> So all 3 of the people subscribed to this list have probably heard this > already, but I re-iterate here for those who don't spend their lives > staring at IRC backlogs. > > The current QA team is definately short on overall goals. We have a lot > of people that are passionate about QA, and they all do their own thing > to contribute. However I think we can do better.
All the points you raise are valid, and have all been discussed before. I can remember most of these issues going back to '01/'02. The reason they aren't solved yet isn't because it's mentally difficult, or because the ideas are stupid. It's because (1) it's a lot of work to put everything together, (2) focus has been spent on dictating policies and arguing on the lists instead of producing code, (3) nobody has cared enough about the problem to actually write tools that developers can accept. Don't let my comment be a discouragement. It is not. I'm just saying that the best way out of this predicament is to just write the tools. Writing policies is useful for documentation, but useless for checking. Whoever picks up this project should carefully stay of of the limelight to avoid the usual flamefests. Historically, that's how the QA people got burnt out before, trying to force through policies, and never got around to the kick-ass tools we wanted. Cheers, -- Karl T -- gentoo-qa@g.o mailing list