From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-qa@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-qa] QA confusion: Upstream qa issues -> failing to install
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 16:04:16
1 Thilo Bangert <bangert@g.o> said:
2 > Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o> said:
3 > > Thilo Bangert <bangert@g.o> said:
4 > > > trying to install openssh on the dev profile one is greated with this
5 > > >
6 > > > bugger:
7 > > > * QA Notice: Package has poor programming practices which may
8 > > > compile * fine but exhibit random runtime failures.
9 > > > * closefromtest.c:46: warning: implicit declaration of function
10 > > >
11 > > > ‘closefrom’
12 > > >
13 > > > * Please do not file a Gentoo bug and instead report the above QA
14 > > > * issues directly to the upstream developers of this software.
15 > > >
16 > > > This looks really really weird. On the one hand we are saying: "Its a
17 > > > QA issue but upstream should fix it." followed by "It so broke, we
18 > > > wont let you install it."
19 > >
20 > > Personally I think we should be directing our users to our Bugzilla
21 > > always. We really don't want to be pissing off upstreams if we put in
22 > > a patch that triggers one of these QA warnings and it ends up being
23 > > our problem and not theirs.
24 >
25 > i would agree, that all issues should be reported in our own bugzilla
26 > (also).
27 >
28 > It would be really nice if we somehow could annotate the bug, in the
29 > ebuild, so that the warning already includes the bug number (or is
30 > silenced by it) in an effort to reduce the number of duplicates.
31 >
32 > where are these qa checks implemented anyway?
33
34 /usr/lib/portage/bin/misc-functions.sh
35
36 We should probably get a discussion going with the dev community as a
37 whole as to what we should change this text to, and why, so we don't
38 bother upstreams with our own possible problems.
42 Mark Loeser
43 email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org
44 email - mark AT halcy0n DOT com
45 web - http://www.halcy0n.com