From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-qa@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-qa] QA confusion: Upstream qa issues -> failing to install
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 16:03:43
1 Il giorno mer, 25/08/2010 alle 17.20 +0300, Markos Chandras ha scritto:
2 > On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 01:42:12PM +0200, Thilo Bangert wrote:
3 > > * QA Notice: Package has poor programming practices which may compile
4 > > * fine but exhibit random runtime failures.
5 > > * closefromtest.c:46: warning: implicit declaration of function
6 > > ‘closefrom’
7 > >
8 > This is a rather common bug for 64bit arches
9
10 Actually no; the one common for 64bit arches is "implicit pointer
11 conversion" warning (which may be caused by an implicit declaration,
12 since implicit declarations default to int as return type!) that is
13 always fatal on 64-bit (it would crash the code as the returned pointer
14 would be crippled.
15
16 What this bug is about is rather the kind of errors that I've commented
17 on in [1], [2] and [3] which is that they _may_ be related to macros or
18 functions that are not declared/defined by the current set of library
19 dependencies, and would then lead to unresolved undefined symbols, and
20 thus, to runtime failure.
21
22 > This is not only related to stricter but also related to CFLAGS ( having -ggdb
23 > and -Wall, produce same failures for me even if I don't use stricter )
24 >
25 > Diego, any ideas why this happens? -Wall & -ggdb produce extra output on
26 > warning that makes portage abort because of that? I always wondered why this
27 > is happening.
28
29 They are not issues for users to care much about, but if _you_ are
30 maintaining a package that have those warnings should probably go fix
31 them; upstream and in Gentoo; in my last blog post [4] I have noted that
32 we should really just use stricter for _our_ packages, not _all_
33 packages, as it makes it bothersome and lead to more people just
34 forgetting about stricter (I don't use it, for instance).
35
36 [1] http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2010/08/18/compounded-issues-in-glibc-2-12
37 [2] http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2010/08/19/fixed-in-overlay-read-not-fixed
38 [3] http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2010/02/03/ruby-ng-the-nth-fork
39 [4]
40 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2010/08/24/gentoo-needs-you-a-few-things-that-would-definitely-be-useful
43 Diego Elio Pettenò — “Flameeyes”
44 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/
45
46 If you found a .asc file in this mail and know not what it is,
47 it's a GnuPG digital signature: http://www.gnupg.org/