From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-qa@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-qa] Support of other package managers
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 23:57:23
1 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> said:
2 > Yeah, I think what's really needed is a specification of what is allowed in
3 > gentoo's official portage tree. Let's take "per-package use.mask" (bug
4 > 96368) as an example. It could be implemented as package.use.mask or as
5 > package.mask + use deps. Which will it be? Will paludis, pkgcore, and portage
6 > all handle this functionality the same way or not? If we're going to allow new
7 > features such as this into the official portage tree, we need to make sure that
8 > they conform to a specification that everyone has agreed upon.
9
10 This is the exact problem I'm trying to address. You'll never get all
11 of the projects to agree, since they all want to go in slightly
12 different directions and do different things. All three are great
13 ideas, but we should only support the one that is official for Gentoo,
14 and not make any changes to the tree. (Note: changes here is any
15 modification or addition of files in the tree for the sole purpose of
16 working with an alternate package manager)
17
18 Either way, I think this is something we should hold off on for now, and
19 have the council decide upon. We shouldn't just make these changes
20 without having some discussion taking place (the flamewar on g-dev@ is
21 not a discussion, and is only a small minority of people giving their
22 two cents).
23
24 Whatever the decision is, the addition of another package manager makes
25 QA harder to do since we have to consider all of them. Adding a new
26 package manager and saying we don't support it, nor are we sure if we
27 will ever support it, does not seem acceptable at all to me. The
28 decision should be made if we plan on supporting it so we can work on
29 actually supporting it, or if this should be a completely separate
30 project and they can work on their own to make changes to ebuilds which
31 support their own functionality.
34 Mark Loeser - Gentoo Developer (cpp gcc-porting qa toolchain x86)
35 email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org
36 mark AT halcy0n DOT com
37 web - http://dev.gentoo.org/~halcy0n/
38 http://www.halcy0n.com